PDA

View Full Version : Trumpetpayne

Duncan Payne
05-22-2007, 08:06 PM
I have a Bach Strad., one year old. Love the instrument - played one in the 60's and have picked it up again.

Here's the issue. The legendary piston/valve smoothness is replaced by a slightly sticking valve. Some times (1) sometimes (3). I oil the valves religiously - have had the valves worked on by the shop. But...the sometimes slightly sticking valves persist. Now - I am not a soloist with the New York Phil. but a sticking valve is a sticking valve.

What gives? Has anybody else had this problem? I want the Rolls Royce of valves and I am only getting a Cadilliac.

D

MichaelM2
05-23-2007, 12:45 PM
Other than going over and cleaning the valves and casings, you may just need another trip to the shop. A new instrument that I had with a similar problem went to the shop four times before going back to the factory where the problem was finally fixed. (the factory didn't actually fix it, they sent it out to one of their contract trouble-shooters) You may want to try a different shop depending on the quality of the place you took it.

Good Luck,
Mike

Charles A Hillman
05-31-2007, 06:28 AM
I have a Bach Strad., one year old. Love the instrument - played one in the 60's and have picked it up again.

Here's the issue. The legendary piston/valve smoothness is replaced by a slightly sticking valve. Some times (1) sometimes (3). I oil the valves religiously - have had the valves worked on by the shop. But...the sometimes slightly sticking valves persist. Now - I am not a soloist with the New York Phil. but a sticking valve is a sticking valve.

What gives? Has anybody else had this problem? I want the Rolls Royce of valves and I am only getting a Cadilliac.

D

you need to wash the horn more often and scrube the valve casine with a valve brush

wentzegw@muohio.edu
06-22-2007, 10:47 AM
Chances are the valves are just dirty. Try wiping the valves off frequently, then re-oiling. If it's a relatively new horn there still could be microscopic metal particles coming off of the valves as they wear into place. The Bach owners' manual recommends doing this with all new horns.

You might also try dipping the vavles in lacquer thinner, then wipe off and allow to dry. Don't get the thinner on anything but the piston itselt (not the plating!).

you need to wash the horn more often and scrube the valve casine with a valve brush