PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Bach Strad....

georgehester
07-07-2007, 03:16 PM
Hi everyone...

I need help. Sorry I don't have pictures but my description should work just fine!

I recently acquired a silver plated bach strad Bb trumpet from a friend who hasn't played the horn in years and was asking me what the value of it would be.

Well, as simple as I thought the task would be, I'm a little confused as this particular horn is somewhat unique to me and one I've never seen before.

First of all, it appears to be one of the 80's anniversary horns, but I'm not exactly sure if the characteristics match those of the anniversary horns. I say that because I played on one once and this has different features the other one didn't have.

It's a Bach Strad, model 37, ML bore. It has a faded gold trim on the valve caps, stems, buttons and bottoms. The gold plating on the inside of the bell, the stop rod/nuts, and the water keys.

there are no serial number markings on the 1st/3rd slide ring/hook.

The leadpipe has the number 134 on it.

It has the pattern engraving on the bell also, which I know all of the anniversary horns had that I have seen.

The somewhat unique features I found on this horn were this octagon shaped gold insignia on the top of the bell before the flare, just above the "Stradivarius". I've never seen this before. It says "Bach" and has a picture of what looks like a guy building a horn.

Also, this trumpet has a reverse leadpipe.

There are no signs that this horn was customized so I assume this horn is as it was first built.

I also scratch my head when I look at the serial number. I know that most people wouldn't just give out their serials but I looked this up in the serial number archives and I don't know where it falls.

The number is 0087. That's what it says... the full number is 0087.

I am by no means a professional but I have been playing trumpet for 18 years now and my knowledge is great, but now I'm thinking I missed something down the road.

I really hope someone out here can shed some light on this for me to help my friend out. He's just wanting to sell the horn and hasn't played since HS, which was about 10 years ago.... I think.

The horn is in pristine condition... If I wouldn't have known, I could have been convinced this horn wasn't more than 3 years old.

Thanks for anyone who can shed some light on this for me. I really appreciate it. I guess you can e-mail me if you have any idea what horn this is, what year it comes from, etc. It's NOT an old old horn... looks like the newer models.

George

Euphoiumboy102
07-09-2007, 01:38 AM
If I were you I would appraise it or better yet call a bach distributor, but if I were to guess I bet he could sell it at $2200.00 easy. It seems that maybe the horn could have been custom made since you've never seen it before and the serial num ber is strange for that rare instrument. Usually a standard instrument does not come with all those specific details you included. But ofcourse my answer is very vague and could be wrong.

georgehester
07-10-2007, 03:14 AM
If I were you I would appraise it or better yet call a bach distributor, but if I were to guess I bet he could sell it at $2200.00 easy. It seems that maybe the horn could have been custom made since you've never seen it before and the serial num ber is strange for that rare instrument. Usually a standard instrument does not come with all those specific details you included. But ofcourse my answer is very vague and could be wrong.

Thanks for the reply. I'll keep asking around... and like you said, a lot of responses I've gotten were that it must have been custom built.

I should take pictures because I think that might help.

Here's a link to the pics of this horn that I took... They are somewhat large so hopefully they came out okay. My camera isn't the greatest and the laundry room had the best lighting. :)

Bb Strad (http://www.georgehester.com/bach/)