PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Vernon Inquiry

rtharper
08-06-2007, 05:46 PM
I would appreciate it if anyone has an answer to the following question:

I have seen a Mt. Vernon with a low 12,000 serial number (under 12,100) that has a New York impression on the valve casing, but a Mt. Vernon bell, a Mt. Vernon Case and a Mt. Vernon instruction sheet. Similarly, eBay recently listed a New York Strad with a 12,351 serial number, a New York bell and a New York case. This serial number post-dates the Mt. Vernon horn which I saw. My question is whether the shop cards will show where the horns were constructed (i.e. Mt. Vernon or New York) and why the serial number could be so far out of series (i.e. a Mt. Vernon with an earlier number than a New York Strad)? Was there ever a period of dual production and how can one check shop cards?

Thanks for any insights you may have on this question.

westrumpet1
08-28-2007, 12:20 PM
I would appreciate it if anyone has an answer to the following question:

I have seen a Mt. Vernon with a low 12,000 serial number (under 12,100) that has a New York impression on the valve casing, but a Mt. Vernon bell, a Mt. Vernon Case and a Mt. Vernon instruction sheet. Similarly, eBay recently listed a New York Strad with a 12,351 serial number, a New York bell and a New York case. This serial number post-dates the Mt. Vernon horn which I saw. My question is whether the shop cards will show where the horns were constructed (i.e. Mt. Vernon or New York) and why the serial number could be so far out of series (i.e. a Mt. Vernon with an earlier number than a New York Strad)? Was there ever a period of dual production and how can one check shop cards?

Thanks for any insights you may have on this question. The shop cards don't indicate where the instrument was made but you can get an idea of the date it was actually manufactured and sold from the shop cards. There could be many reasons why your horn has a Mt. Vernon bell. Check with Roy Hempley. His email address is located in the Bachology section of the Bachbrass website. good luck.