PDA

View Full Version : Mount Vernons and NY Bachs

Hutch
11-01-2007, 10:54 AM
As a newcomer to the BachLoyalist and a real novice regarding the earlier Bachs, (although I have owned several much later Strads over the years) can anyone please enlighten me as to what exactly are the very desirable characteristics of the Mount Vernon and New York models; why they are relatively considerably more expensive compared to other makes of vintage horns of the same era (except perhaps the Martin Committee?) and where on the web, apart from eBay, it might be possible to find one?

I would welcome any enlightenment on the above.

Many thanks in anticipation.

westrumpet1
12-17-2007, 03:06 PM
As a newcomer to the BachLoyalist and a real novice regarding the earlier Bachs, (although I have owned several much later Strads over the years) can anyone please enlighten me as to what exactly are the very desirable characteristics of the Mount Vernon and New York models; why they are relatively considerably more expensive compared to other makes of vintage horns of the same era (except perhaps the Martin Committee?) and where on the web, apart from eBay, it might be possible to find one?

I would welcome any enlightenment on the above.

Many thanks in anticipation.Most of the value is in the collector interest in the older horns. Unless you get lucky most of the older horns have been well used or have been modified over 50
+ years of use. Ebay is one of the best sources for these trumpets. Other trumpet related web sites and getting the word out to friends who play trumpet are good ways to locate them.