PDA

View Full Version : Model 25

angelofmusic81
12-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Hello everyone! First time poster, long time reader.

I am a long time player of the Model 25 Large Bore strad. I picked mine up used from my band director when I was in high school 10 years ago, and I have never looked back. I've played a lot of horns, but nothing has ever struck me as having as full and brilliant a sound as this horn. It's nice and free blowing and responds like lightning. It's a 1978 and has had a few dings here and there, and I recently took it to my wonderful repair tech here in town and he has really spiffed it up, fitting it with a customized 25 leadpipe (essentially reaming it out so that it's more like a 25-O) and taking out some minor dings and such. It is seriously an animal. My husband liked my horn so much, he put up his LR37 for sale and found an early Elkhart 25G for himself. Even though the bell is touted to be very bright, I find it to be rather malleable, depending on mouthpiece and sound concept. It has a really rich, compact sound.

Basically, you can tell I'm a fan.

Lately, I've been perusing lots of websites, catalogues, and stores checking out whatever Strads they happen to have in stock. I got a new post-strike Chicago C and the quality was UNBELIEVABLY good, so I was curious what the new Bb's were like as well. All my perusing has brought it to my attention that there is no mention anywhere of the 25 bell being available anymore. It is not even listed on the bachbrass website as an instrument they make anymore. Are they even still manufacturing this bell? Either way, I was curious what people thought as to why it never caught on like the 37, 43, or 72. My husband's 25G (with the right mouthpiece) sounds like the best 37 I've ever heard! :)

westrumpet1
12-17-2007, 02:57 PM
Hello everyone! First time poster, long time reader.

I am a long time player of the Model 25 Large Bore strad. I picked mine up used from my band director when I was in high school 10 years ago, and I have never looked back. I've played a lot of horns, but nothing has ever struck me as having as full and brilliant a sound as this horn. It's nice and free blowing and responds like lightning. It's a 1978 and has had a few dings here and there, and I recently took it to my wonderful repair tech here in town and he has really spiffed it up, fitting it with a customized 25 leadpipe (essentially reaming it out so that it's more like a 25-O) and taking out some minor dings and such. It is seriously an animal. My husband liked my horn so much, he put up his LR37 for sale and found an early Elkhart 25G for himself. Even though the bell is touted to be very bright, I find it to be rather malleable, depending on mouthpiece and sound concept. It has a really rich, compact sound.

Basically, you can tell I'm a fan.

Lately, I've been perusing lots of websites, catalogues, and stores checking out whatever Strads they happen to have in stock. I got a new post-strike Chicago C and the quality was UNBELIEVABLY good, so I was curious what the new Bb's were like as well. All my perusing has brought it to my attention that there is no mention anywhere of the 25 bell being available anymore. It is not even listed on the bachbrass website as an instrument they make anymore. Are they even still manufacturing this bell? Either way, I was curious what people thought as to why it never caught on like the 37, 43, or 72. My husband's 25G (with the right mouthpiece) sounds like the best 37 I've ever heard! :)
The 25 bell was originally called the 7-10 bell and is a hybrid version of the 7 and 10 bells. It's been around since the 1930's. Mostly you find them on large bore b flat trumpets.