PDA

View Full Version : Model 37 Second Valve problems

bachfan
01-27-2008, 04:36 PM
I have a 1992 Bach Strad Model 37 and have been experiencing problems with my second valve for a couple of months now. I have had it cleaned and lapped twice. I just had a new valve put in and it still stutters on the way up. The repair shop said the barrel was in great shape and did not have any problems. Does anyone know how to help resolve this problem?

makncheez
01-31-2008, 11:42 PM
Have you tried just cleaning out the valve casing? Sometimes, the spit might solidify into a white-ish salt, which might cause some valve interference, especially on the way up. That happened with my first trumpet, but after I cleaned out the casings it worked much better. But you probably already tried that. =.=

jp554731
02-02-2008, 06:17 PM
I had this problem as well. just do as Macncheez says and scrub your valve casings and oil it, but not to much because over saturating the valves slows them down as well. What valve oil are you using by the way? What I did was just put a drop of Al Cass in the valve casings both bottom and top parts and scrubbed the white calcium deposits then I dried them out, then I cleaned out the valves by wiping them dry and put 2 drops of Al Cass on each one. Worked like a charm! ;) if that doesn't work try replacing the springs and felts. 1 more suggestion is just oil your springs... yup you read right oil your springs cause it worked for me on a different occasion.

bassmannate
03-29-2008, 09:56 AM
If you're using a thin oil, you can (and should) apply lots of oil each day you play on the instrument. This washes all the metal shavings off the valve and into the bottom valve caps so the valves themselves can be freed up. Good oils for this would be stuff like Al Cass, Clark Viper (This one's REALLY good), Zaja, etc.

There's a guy I work with here who had trouble with his valves on his Yamaha 8310Z when he first got it. Yamaha is bad about REALLY tight tolerances (possibly none?) and he used Zaja on his valves. Cleared up his problem. Of couse that may not be for you if you're against oils with color/scent. Clark Viper is now my favorite though and it's a clear oil.

brian moon
06-14-2010, 02:08 PM
Are the outer slides bent? Make sure that you don't set your horn down on the second valve slide.