PDA

View Full Version : new member-info on my strad

rich50121
02-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Hello, everyone.
I have the Strad Model 37 that my parents bought me in high school. I found out only a couple of years ago how good and valuable Strads are (I know, I know, I'm pretty naive about them). I always knew it was a nice instrument but I never thought that my parents would buy their 10th grader a professional trumpet.
It is serial number 50121 which I think must have been manufactured in 1969 or 1970. We got it in the summer of 1970. It is not in mint condition but was well cared for and isn't in bad shape considering that:
I played it for 3 years in high school
My nephew played it for a couple of years and
Our older son has played it as his home/concert trumpet (rental kept at school) for 2 1/2 years.
I am starting to wonder just how valuable it is. I see some e-bay listings for Strads, some of them vintage ones. Some of them are in very good condition which doesn't reasonably compare to mine. I have not seen anything yet that I think is very much like mine in terms of age and condition. Oh, one other thing. The original case still does a good job protecting it but it saw some rough treatment when my nephew took it to school in his bike basket. Ouch!!
There is one thing, especially, that makes me wonder about the value of mine. All the pictures of Strads that I have seen have 1st valve tuning slide kickers that are the saddle (I'm told that is what it is called) or ring types. My trumpet has a lever type kicker with a spring that brings it back to the closed or sharp position. The lever pushes an arm or rod that is between the two tubes of the slide and attaches with a screw where the slide curves. The 3rd valve slide has a ring like all the other ones I have seen.
Can anyone give me any info on this type/age of trumpet? I am not going to sell it but just want to know about it and possibly increase the insured value of it if that is appropriate.
Thank you,
Rich

jp554731
02-05-2008, 12:11 AM
Welcome!
From the sound of your description it sounds like a first valve trigger? but what is it exactly? Got any pics?
I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to Early Elkharts, but what I do know is that some players actually like them better and some of the lower serial # go for as much as 1000+... I think... I've seen people list them for more but I don't really pay attention to those auctions "I usually play close attention to the New York and Mt. Vernon auctions though
:p.
A good and quick google search might help you out! try typing Early Elkhart "Bach Stradivarius"