PDA

View Full Version : 1977-1978 Bach Serial # 137497

jjincanton
06-21-2010, 02:38 PM
I have a Bach Mercedes from 1977-1978 timeframe with serial # 137497 on the middle valve. It does not have Mercedes II on the bell, but simply Mercedes. My question is whether this instrument is a Mercedes or Mercedes II. Also, was there a quality difference between a Mercedes and Mercedes II. In other posts, people have said that Mercedes II serial number were in the 400K range during this timeframe, and thus, I'm confused.

Thanks in advance.

bachloyalist
06-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Most likely, this was during the transition to the Mercedes 2 brand. The original Mercedes brand goes back to the early days of Bach. If the bell is marked Mercedes, it would be just that. I' sorry, I can not be more help to you, let me look through some my older archive files, and see what information I have about when the Mercedes 2 brand & horns were first introduced.

dave_holo
06-28-2011, 05:55 PM
I have a similar question. I just purchased what I believed to be a Mercedes - as opposed to a Mercedes II. I has a serial number 48XXX, which dates it to the late 60's, as far as I can tell. It simply says Mercedes across the bell in the same art-deco type font that Mercedes II uses. Underneath, line 1 is a Vincent Bach signature; line 2 says CORP. Line 3 says U.S.A.

Most of the Mercedes II's I have seen have Mercedes II running lenghthwise on the bell. This one doesn't. However, the valves are not marked with serial numbers, and the tuning slide does not incorporate the brace like the NY Mercedes do. It has a hexagonal receiver which seems not to be Mercedes II, and it has hexagonal water-key caps. It has a 1st valve saddle, and a third-valve ring.

The horn plays very well, and seems to perform comparably to a mid-50's NY Mercedes owned by a friend. I bought it to play, not as a collectible, so I don't care which it is, since it plays well, but I'm curious what I've got. Maybe it's a frankenstein of some sort, or a transistion horn?