PDA

View Full Version : Bach New York Bass

jeffcortazzo
10-13-2010, 11:21 PM
About 10 yrs. ago I came across two 'Bach New York 67' bell flares, both '50B'. Both have 50 tapers but one is 9" and the other is 9.5". I have had them mounted on previous bell sections. They are stunning; responsive, rich in color and yet have a profound fundamental. My questions are as follows:
1. Was the 9" an experiment?
2. When were they made?
3. Generally speaking, what might account for the easy response of these bells?.

Jeff Cortazzo,
bass trombone, Army Blues jazz ens., National Philharmonic, both Washington DC.

Jason8844
10-28-2010, 08:42 AM
Jeff,
You have two later NY flares (post 1951 and pre-1953). The 67 was the local postal codes of the factory and only used for 2 years. The bell diameters during the pre-Elkhart years were commonly in increments of inches. The model 6 through 16 came with 7 inch bells, 36's came with 8 inch bells and 50's came with 9 inch bells. This can be confirmed by all the catalogs earlier than 1960.

Bells made on the half inch intervals are much rarer. They were special orders, although they are now the norm today. I have a NY 16ii with a bronze (not gold brass) bell that is 7 inches that dates from 1942. However, the really sought after bells are the much rarer 7 1/2 inch 16 bells like Watrous has which were typically made post 1951.

I own two 50b bells. My Mt. Vernon gold brass bell is 9 1/2 inches and my NY bell is yellow brass and is 9 3/4 inches. It dates from 1941. The bell has a pre-67 stamp and uses the early gauge number system stamped below Bach's signature.

Both bells you have are made on the same manderel, one is simply flared out a little more. There should not be much difference in the sound between the two since the throat is the same. It sounds like you have a nice set up there. The only 9 inch bell I own is on my MV 45b.