PDA

View Full Version : Interpreting Serial numbers

Unregistered
10-21-2010, 12:10 PM
How do we figure out what they mean? I have encountered sites that break it down for other horns, citing how to interpret the meaning behind each letter and number... but nothing yet for this horn.

I have a Strad Model 37, with the signature style logo on the bell, stamped Elkhart, Ind, USA.

can you define for me what a model 37 is? Judging by what I have read so far, that refers to the bell style? How does it compare to other models? Does it refer to bell style only?

As for serial number, I have ML 58123

How do we interpret that? What is it about that number that distinguishes it from another strad?
Besides the date of manufacture, is there anything else you can tell me about the horn?

Also, because I honestly dont know the answer, what is the difference between a C trumpet and a Bb trumpet? And when purchasing a horn, how would I tell the difference?

Thank you so much for reading; hope to hear something soon!

bachloyalist
10-24-2010, 08:43 AM
Here you go.

ML = Medium Large Bore
58123 = Made in Elkhart, IN in approx. 1971-1972
37 = The most common bell configuration

Bb and C difference
Easiest way to tell is to play the horn. A c trumpet is in concert pitch (ie. a C on the trumpet is the same as a C on the piano). Visually the main tuning slide, leadpipe is shorted than a Bb model.

Hope that helps -