PDA

View Full Version : Strad Cornet, Silver, 37 Hammered Bell?????

Jeff 23
12-21-2010, 09:06 AM
I have a very good condition 1966 Bach Strad Cornet 37 in silver. The bell is very similar to an Olds Military hammered bell. The hammered marks are uniforn and are present on the entire bell all the way to the 1st valve. I have researched this bell and have found nothing about this model with a hammered bell offered. Could it be special order. I think Bach had a hammered bell trumpet offered very early on. Please help me solve my mistery.

musicaz
01-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Hope you get an answer...until very recently I had a 1929 Olds Military Model trumpet with the hammered bell. Very attractive looking horn. I can only imagine that your cornet is just as striking.

Jason8844
01-20-2011, 08:34 AM
I have a very good condition 1966 Bach Strad Cornet 37 in silver. The bell is very similar to an Olds Military hammered bell. The hammered marks are uniforn and are present on the entire bell all the way to the 1st valve. I have researched this bell and have found nothing about this model with a hammered bell offered. Could it be special order. I think Bach had a hammered bell trumpet offered very early on. Please help me solve my mistery.

Like anything, this work may not be from the factory. There are many craftsman and artisans who can do custom work like this after a player has purchased the horn. From my own research and observations, the arts of decorating and adorning brass instruments with engraving and customizations like yours is a lost art.

I believe the trumpet you are referring to is this one from one of Roy Hempley's articles.
http://www.bachbrass.com/bachology/article.php?uid=16

It is serial number 304 which puts it very early in the run and one of a kind. There is no mention of another instruments that is "hand hammered" in the shop cards. This leads me to believe yours may have been altered after it left the factory.