PDA

View Full Version : Can't find serial number in listings

chorusgirl
12-23-2010, 09:59 AM
Hello -

I'm new to this forum. I have the opportunity to purchase a silver Bach Strad model 25 - it is stamped:

L

I cannot find this listed anywhere in the serial number section. Can any of you share information about this?

Asking price: $950.00 I'm told it dates from 1988, but cannot verify that. It shows some minor wear on the finish, no dents or dings that I can see, but there is one weird addition that concerns me: there is an extension on the slide that allows it to be converted to an A trumpet for orchestra. This was added on by the current owner.

I'm looking for an instrument for my 7th grade, 12 year old son, who I doubt will be playing in any orchestras any time soon. He plays with his school concert, jazz, and spirit bands, studies privately, and will continue in HS adding marching band as well. Our district doesn't even have an orchestra. I'm also concerned about how this add-on effects the overall value of the instrument - does it add to it, detract from it, or not affect it one way or the other?

Thank you for your replies.

bachloyalist
12-30-2010, 07:58 AM
It was most likely built in the 1970-1975 time frame. The L = Large Bore, and the 25 is the Bell style.

Not sure about the extension on the slide to convert to A? If the modification was done well, you can have it removed or leave it alone. The asking price is average...