PDA

View Full Version : unusual mouthpiece

tim bolwell
01-14-2011, 04:57 AM
I bought this mouthpiece in a second hand store, stamped on it is VINCENT BACH CORP. 7C. The body shape is unlike any other Bach mp I have seen. Can any one supply any information about this mp?269270269270

Jason8844
01-14-2011, 09:10 AM
Wow! That is unusual. I have never seen a piece like that before. What I can tell for sure is that due to the stamp it was probably made in the 1970's.

I am only speculating here and without examining the piece I can not be certain but I think this mouthpiece is this way for one of two reasons.

Reason 1 -
It was a custom job and the original buyer had it copied from another piece or had it designed to his/her specs.

Reason 2 -
The mouthpiece began life as a stock/standard 7C but a custom mouthpiece craftsman cut down the outside of the blank, then re-sanded, rebuffed and re-plated it. I have seen trombone pieces that have been shaved like this to reduce weight in the owner's journey to find a more "brilliant" sounding mouthpiece.

Either way, how does it play? That is the most important thing.

tim bolwell
01-17-2011, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the input, I guess that means it was never a production model. Has to how it sounds..... Great! it's a lovely sounding piece.

I held it up to a standard bach piece and the profile does fit within the standard shape, so the shaved idea is a possibility.

Cheers Tim