PDA

View Full Version : Mouthpiece Gap?

carla
05-10-2011, 07:11 PM
I've been doing some reading, what is the optimal mouthpiece gap on a trumpet? I've measured mine on my trumpet, and it is around 0.125" using a Bach 5C MP.

What is common? And are specific trumpet models (ie. Bach 37) use a consistent gap through the years, or was it dependent on the person making the trumpet?

admin
05-10-2011, 07:25 PM
This is a good reference that shows the concept of a GAP, and how it can effect your sound.

http://stomvi-usa.com/mouthpiece-components/

Hope you find this useful.

DrDave
07-28-2011, 04:22 PM
There is significant variability in the exact dimensions of mouthpiece shanks and trumpet receivers between manufacturers, and even within samples from the same manufacturer. A very small difference in the dimension of either, as little a .001" in diameter, one can make a significant difference in gap. In general most mouthpiece - horn combinations will play well with a gap in the .125" range, but some players will prefer a different setup. It also varies for an individual player, depending on the equipment. Most manufacturers design their horns and mouthpieces for a gap in this range, except for Schilke, who aim for close to a zero gap.

Cheers,
Dave

dmh737
08-28-2011, 11:42 AM
I've seen anywhere from 2.5 to 5.5 mm.