PDA

View Full Version : Overhaul or Not Overhaul

admin
05-12-2011, 04:15 PM
I have an interesting dilemma in my collection.

I have a few old Bach Stradivarius, Mercury, Mercedes trumpets, cornets, etc. and am wondering if I should have them refurbished (cleaned, polished, spot plated). I have seen some recent Bach New York models on eBay that were recently redone, and am wondering now if I should spend the $$$ to get part of my collection brought to a pristine level.

Any suggestions on how far I should go on my collection?

jp554731
06-10-2011, 01:27 PM
if you are going to sell them in the future, then I would say no. If it were up to me, I would not do it as most of the time overhauled/ repaired horns depreciate in value.( of course this would be on a case by case basis.. like if the horn wouldn't play)

stevericks
09-04-2011, 03:49 PM
It all depends on what you want done to them. If you want to relacquer or replate the horn, then be SURE you use one of the better restorers. Some of the forums have some bad tales of folks using nonknowns.

I would obviously get any repairs done that keep the horn from playing. As far as cosmetics. that is a personal chioice. Many collectors are looking for as close to original as possible. Players may be looking for something that is more pristine.