PDA

View Full Version : What is the Best Flugelhorn on the market right now?

Austyn Sullivan-Watson
05-28-2011, 09:40 PM
Hey you guys out there, I am just wondering what the best Flugelhorn is out there right now? I have been looking but don't know which one's are better. If you have any ideas or anything contact me back.

admin
05-29-2011, 03:16 PM
I play at Kanstul 1525 (http://www.kanstul.net/category.php?category_search=Flugelhorn&metaPage=Flugelhorn), and it plays absolutely wonderfully... I would add this model to your list...

Austyn Sullivan-Watson
05-29-2011, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the information. Anybody else can still tell me because I really need a list. Thanks!

OldsSuper1932
06-07-2011, 02:42 PM
My absolute favourite is the now discontinued, small French military flugel; the Couesnon Monopole mod. 142.
This has been copied by many of the large manufacturers like Bach and Jupiter, and also today's modern handmakers like "Eclipse" (First Class Brass) in London.
This flugelhorn sounds dark and is easy to play, and it's in tune (!). Many of the world's best jazz artists favour this one, and I believe it's the one you should look out for, if you ever can find it (not easy).

Bill Dishman
08-10-2011, 07:53 PM
My orchestra/quintet partner has a beautiful sounding Courtois Flugle with the large gold brass bell. I have a wonderful Cuesnon that I would not part with but if I were to replace it I would definetly get the Courtois. Most wonderful lush tone quality.

Bill Dishman
Gainesville, Florida

Austyn Sullivan-Watson
08-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the info! Keep it coming, please!

belltrumpetplayer19
09-05-2011, 05:28 PM
OMG! I absolutely LOVE Couesnon, but yes it is discontinued in the US but not in France (actually; go find their website). I play a Yamaha flugelhorn, but especially hate the clanking of the valves when they come back up. Last time I tried a Bach flugel, and I was pretty satisfied (might just get one...).

stevericks
09-05-2011, 07:32 PM
I agree with the moderator -Kanstul 1525. Nothing else I have played comes close. Wish I had one!

ChopsGone
05-29-2012, 10:49 AM
I have to admit to having sort of a flugelhorn addiction, but here's how I'd rank the top few among those currently available as new horns:

Wild Thing
Kanstul ZKF-1525
Adams
Courtois (still lusting after that 4-valve one, but even my addiction has limits)

On any given day, it's a tossup between the Wild Thing and the Kanstul - both have a beautiful sound, and the WT is the most responsive flugelhorn I've ever tried. The Adams has great Bauerfeind valves, sounds and plays great, but I'm not as impressed with the build quality. Courtois is in there because they're consistently superb instruments, the firm has more experience with modern flugels than any other, and a Courtois could easily be the best of the lot - it's very much a personal preference thing. But it would be hard to go wrong with any of these.

There's another that should be right up there with these: Calicchio. I haven't yet tried the flugelhorns, but do own several of the trumpets. Based on those, and on what I've heard from those who have had the opportunity to play a Calicchio flugelhorn, it should be one of the best available.

oldbrass
07-01-2012, 09:05 PM
I recently acquired a 1971 Olds flugel made in Fullerton, Ca. It is said to be the one that Art Farmer favored. My friends and I have blindfold tested it against new Yamaha, VanLaar, and Blessing flugels. It has the sound I want, which makes it best for me.

ChopsGone
07-02-2012, 04:52 PM
An Olds L-12 is still a good flugelhorn; I own one as well as its yellow-brass belled twin, the Reynolds FU-52. I wouldn't call it the best, though, although it's certainly more than adequate for just about any use. Incidentally, Art Farmer played a number of different flugelhorns over the years (Couesnon, Besson, Kanstul, possibly more); you can read a bit about one of his horns which is currently owned by Dmitri Matheny:
http://dmitrimatheny.com/fr_flugelhorn.cfm

I believe it was sold recently, but during a visit with Flip Oakes a couple of years ago, I had the pleasure of seeing the first Kanstul ZKF-1525 made, which was presented to Art Farmer. After Farmer's death, Flip (who designed horns for Kanstul) acquired it from the Farmer estate.

oldbrass
07-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Dmitri, thanks for the lowdown on the Art Farmer/Olds connection. I fell in love with the sound of my Olds without any consideration of which famous players may have used them. As far as "best" flugelhorn; It's the one that sounds best to the guy playing it. If I encounter a Wild Thing, I will try it. Thanks

ChopsGone
07-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Correction - I'm not Dmitri, just a fan. I also love the sound of my Olds, I just enjoy the sound of my ZKF-1525 more, and the responsiveness (and sound) of the Wild Thing more, but the Olds does have a great sound.