PDA

View Full Version : Bach vs Xeno

jazae04
06-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Does anyone find Bachs to be way too overrated? I did not like my 37, but love my two xeno. What are some opinions.

holtonloyalist
06-13-2011, 08:55 PM
I've owned both through the years.. I've had some great Bach's, and also some poor playing (intonation) trumpets... I have also owned a Xeno, and found it a very nice trumpet, but ended up selling it...

jazae04
06-14-2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the post. Maybe I got a dud Bach.

pizzaking50
06-21-2011, 07:14 AM
I also have used both. The strad was fine but I felt like I could do better, so I picked up a xeno. I absolutely love the xeno, maybe its just personal preference.

MichaelM2
08-14-2011, 04:24 PM
I've got many Bach and Yamaha trumpets and after years of trial and error here's my take on it. I think I sound better on a Bach, but play much better on my Yamahas. They seem to slot better and my overall performance ends up being better. Just so you're not comparing apples and oranges, the Bach I play on is a 180-37GH and the Yamaha is a YTR-8337 RG. I've gone through several other Bachs and Yamahas but these two work the best for me, but my personal favorite is the Yamaha.

dmh737
08-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Most Bachs are duds. However the duds still out play most horns on the market. The Yamahas are a lot more consistent. The problem with the Yamahas is their lack of richness in their sound. It's hard to describe. But find that great, 1 in 100 Bach and nothing compares to it. If I were looking for a horn in that genre I'd buy a CS Getzen. The Getzen sound just has a rich core to it like finding that special Strad.

forrest
08-28-2011, 11:10 PM
Most Bachs are duds.

Really? I've never heard it put quite that bluntly. Out of curiosity, how many Bachs have you owned or played to justify such a statement? What about other brands?

I've owned good horns and bad from many makers, but I've yet to run across a brand where all were duds. That seems impossible, but then I've only been playing for 45 years. I find what is "best" for a person is not what is best for all persons.

dmh737
08-29-2011, 07:05 AM
I said most not all. Some are truly amazing and special horns. I've played a couple that out played anything and everything under the sun. But that's only been a couple out of a couple hundred that I've played. The Yamahas just out play Strads consistently but the sound is kind of bland. The Getzen on the other hand are consistently great with the sound that the Yamahas lack. I just think that for the Bach to be the industry standard that it is, that the QC should be better than it is. Now for that truly special horn you have to buy an Artisan. The Artisan is what they should have been making the Strads to be all along.

stevericks
09-07-2011, 06:29 AM
Can only comment on Bachs. I own 3. They rate fair, good and great. My 1967 is probably the best horn I own (actually it is my son's). There really seems to be 2 different characteristics we are talking about: sound and playability. Most people buy a Bach for the Bach sound. Then their is the issue of playability -openess, slotting, etc. PLayability is what is so variable with Bachss.

tommyfix
10-21-2011, 07:20 AM
I've been performing for 45 years now. I currently own Bach trumpet ML43 laquered, Yamaha Flugel Horn silver and a Olds "Recording" cornet laquered. To answer your question Bach vrs Xeno my humble opinion is that your choice of horn boils down to your approach to the horn and your delivery. My ears prefer the solid, richness of my Bach. I have tried from time to time Yamaha's, including the Xeno and have always found them too light. I can load up my Bach without any deteriation in sound or vibration within the horn which has been the case with the Yamaha. When I'm performing in large cathedrals and churches with a pipe organ I like to be rock solid in my tone quality, projection and reliability. To date I have never played a Yamaha trumpet that can provide those qualities. On the other hand, my Yamaha Flugel I would not trade. For working with piano or pipe organ it's intonation is a dream. It did take trying nine of them to find the right one that wasn't fighting me with regard to intonation. The only downside to the Yamaha flugel is the valves. Where my Bach and Olds have never been an issue the valves on the Yamaha need constant attention or it will let me down at the most inopportune time. Whether performing big band jazz, wind ensemble, show's or solo classical work my nod goes to the Bach trumpet. It's a solid money making horn that has never dissappointed me or those in the audience.

nplotts1
11-15-2011, 02:21 PM
I, like you, do not care much for Back 37s. I have not ever owned one, but I never did like the way they played or sounded. A few years ago I really liked the Xeno Line of horns, but could not afford one in college. Today is the first time in 3+ years that I have played a Xeno (Chicago), and I found it to be a bit to bright to my liking. I played it along side of the two Schilke HD models and liked those two considerably more. However, that is a personal preference. I have heard that older Bachs are MUCH different than those that have been made since around the year 2000.