PDA

View Full Version : Frank Holton Trumpet - Have a serial # - looking for information on it

Unregistered
06-29-2011, 08:02 AM
I am in possion of a trumpet that belongs to my father. He received it from his instructor when he was a teenager which I put at about mid to early 1940's. His instructor claimed to have played the trumpet with a big band - and my father thinks he said Benny Goodman but not sure. The trumpet and case have Frank Holton & Co, Elkhorn, WISC engraved along with a serial # 101621. There is some pretty floral engraving on the horn. The mouthpiece seems to have disappeared although my father recalls he had one. I'm looking for any information that could date the instrument, identify the model and tell me whether it's worth cleaning up and putting back into service. Also if there is a goo mouthpiece recommended or if I can search for the original on the web - what would I be looking for. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

holtonloyalist
06-29-2011, 08:46 AM
Your trumpet was most likely mfg. in 1929 - 1930 timeframe... Are there any unique markings on the bell or on the lead pipe?

Also look at this page and see what model most closely resembles your trumpet. Let us know...

http://www.holtonloyalist.com/trumpets.htm

TrumpetGirl
06-30-2011, 09:43 AM
Thank you. I noticed that amongst the floral engravings it has Lllewellyn Model. The trumpet is brass. The flowers look like one posted on the site with a serial # 93409 - king of like a rose of sharon bloom with some pretty leaves. There is a ring which I think some people call the pinky ring. There are some very tiny letters than are worn down on an area - not sure what it's called - looks like it might have had the date but it's too small and worn to read it. The brass is very tarnished but I don't see any other markings. I'd prefer to keep it authentic but still put it in shape to use if possible. While it's been stored in it's original case - the case is very musty and this needs a good cleaning and conditioning I'm sure to work plus a mouthpiece. I appreciate the response. Thanks.