PDA

View Full Version : Help Narrow Down Search

txjb
07-28-2011, 11:34 AM
We are searching for a used trumpet for our high schooler. We are opting to purchase outright instead of renting. The school is recommending Yamaha or Bach with 7c mouthpiece.

The trumpets we are looking at are the following:
Yamaha YTR 4335G, Silver Schmidt, Bach STD1, Bach Soloist, Getzen Eterna Severinsen, or the Yamaha YTR 2335.

Our child has hopes to playing in a band outside of school with this trumpet.

Any recommendations would be greatly apreciated.

We will have the one we purchase reviewed by a music store.

If possible please rate the ones you feel are acceptable.

Thank you!!

DrDave
07-30-2011, 08:43 PM
You might also consider looking into one of the intermediate horns from Carol Brass. They are made in Taiwan, but are of excellent build quality. I have several of their higher level horns, and the value for the dollar is excellent. There are number of US dealers. Try Austin Custom Brass.
The Bach 7C is often suggested as a "beginner" mouthpiece, but it is actually quite deep and does not have a particularly comfortable rim. I would actually suggest a 10 -1/2C for a small child or a 5C for the average high schooler.

Cheers,
Dave

holtonloyalist
07-31-2011, 01:24 PM
My high schooler plays a Getzen Eterna - you should be able to find some good used deals out there... The Yamaha 2XXX is a beginner instrument, stay away from the Schmidt. The Yamaha 4XXX is an intermediate horn, the Bach STD1, and Soloist were limited edition trumpets, and might have a hard time finding one...

You should also look for Yamaha 6xxx series in your searching... What is your price range you're trying to stay within?

As a reference you should check out Fred C. business Quality Brass for a good reference of prices. This will give you a good idea of what different models will sell for used... (he will negotiate on some of these prices a little has been my experience) Not recommending just Quality Brass exclusively, there are other good used trumpet sites out there.

http://www.quality-brass.com/webstore/Items24_list__NEW_ITEMS_1.html

Here's a link to some other stores you should check out. Centex Brass also has a good selection of intermediate/pro horns...

http://www.trumpetforum.com/links/stores-shopping-7/

Zac
08-03-2011, 04:56 AM
I'd go with the yamaha if they are a beginner. I played a yamaha student for 6 years and the horn was possible the most durable horn I have ever seen, tested many times over. It is also a great horn for versatility. I played in bag bands, small jazz groups, brass bands and orchestral settings an it worked very well. It'll accommodate any students needs too the point where they are very confident players and can get around the instrument. For an intermediate though you can't go past Bach.

dmh737
08-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Best one listed is the Getzen Severinson. The Getzen 700S, NOT the 700SP is also a good one for a high schooler. I've been playing for 25 yrs and IMHO the Getzen are hands down the best bang for the buck.

belltrumpetplayer19
09-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Honestly, I would get a Bach Stradivarius. Period. I think he/she will improve much faster and better if he/she plays a good quality horn. The 7C is, most commonly referred to as, the "all-around mouthpiece", because everybody claims that it has a right "balance" in terms of backbore, bore, cup size, rim size and shape, and sleeve length (even if they wish to get a replacement). He/she could start off with that, but if he/she will want to play in both a concert band and jazz band, get him/her a 3C for concert band, and keep the 7C for jazz band (primarily because the smaller cup will help him/her achieve the higher registers). As he/she will progress, find different brands of mouthpieces that are smaller and larger. Make sure that they actually will WORK for his/her embouchure (for jazz I highly recommend looking at Marcinkiewicz mouthpieces).

stevericks
09-05-2011, 07:23 PM
I would skip intermediate horns and get a pro horn. Consider a Bach Stradivarious -commonly known as the standard pro horn against which most are measured. WHile it is fine to buy from the local music shop, you can likely find a good "almost new" used strad in excellent shape on e-bay or craigslist for $1200 (max) or less (maybe $800 even). Just post to some of us before you buy so we can give you some heads up on used horns. You won't have to buy another for college-or when your son/daughter goes pro.

By the way, NONE of my horns were bought brand new and other than 3 or 4 of them that were bought in "good used shape," I doubt you could tell the rest were not brand new. Unless damaged some way, an almost new horn costs half what a new horn costs. And, in a week, that new horn will be a used horn. Best of luck.