PDA

View Full Version : DrDave of Harrison Mouthpieces

DrDave
07-28-2011, 05:04 PM
Hello,
It is nice to see a new forum focused on equipment. I have been playing trumpet since 1972 and making mouthpieces since 2007. I hope I can contribute to this forum based on my experience with designing, manufacturing and fitting mouthpieces and the many horns I own and have owned.

Cheers,
Dave Harrison
(Dr Dave)

holtonloyalist
07-29-2011, 10:15 PM
Great to see you join the forum... I'm curious how you started making mouthpieces... Been playing since 1976, and an mechanical engineer and have always been intrigued by trying to make my own mouthpiece? How did you get started?

DrDave
07-30-2011, 12:47 AM
I started by modifying a conventional rim with a combination of a grinder, file, and dremel tool. I was trying to make a more efficient rim that would provide a mechanical advantage over a conventional, symmetrical round rim. When it became clear that I would need a way to mass produce the complex curves of the rim I bought RhinoCad and a small CNC machine and taught myself CAD design and CNC machining. The rest was many, many hours of programming, prototyping, and play testing. I had help from people like Terry Warburton, Jason Harrelson and others along the way who were very generous with sharing advice and information. Mostly, trial and error really.

Cheers,
Dave