PDA

View Full Version : Switching to C Trumpet

-iii-(
08-02-2011, 09:44 AM
I might be getting a C trumpet soon but I've played on Bb horns my whole life (except for a couple of times on my teachers). Are there any sight reading or transposing exercises I could do to help myself learn to switch back and forth between reading music from a Bb perspective and reading music from a C perspective? Thanks in advance:D

holtonloyalist
08-02-2011, 04:14 PM
I have found that playing out of a chruch hymnal is a great tool to learn to transpose (on the Bb), and also to play with a C trumpet... Makes it easy to learn and prcatice. Would work the same using any piano book with your favorite music...

-iii-(
08-18-2011, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the advice I'll try a few of the piano books I have laying around

Branson
09-16-2011, 11:50 AM
The best advice I can offer is this-

1. Stick to the C for at least a month so that your ear can get used to the pitch differences and your fingers can adjust.
2. Play everything you can that you recognize for the strong melodic lines will quickly train your fingers and ears to get on the the same page.
3. Once you have become used to the intonation differences on the C trumpet (usually the top space E and Eb- flat) begin to transpose down a step using Bb music.

One thing which may help is to record yourself playing easy etudes (Practical Studies by Robert Getchell Book 1) on your Bb and play the recording back while playing along on your C, transposing down a second. Little by little, you will have a new friend in your hand to work with.

Once you work out the transposition, comfort, confiderce, and pitch problems you will see the benefits of the greatest trumpet ever made, the C trumpet.