PDA

View Full Version : Bach Vindabona

Pocket Trumpet
08-17-2011, 07:20 PM
Hi Guys just new to this forum and am on the lookout for a nice Bach Vindabona trumpet with the standard 43 leadpipe and the nice 72 bell. I did have a lightweight 180 72 some years ago and I am very sorry I sold it. I have also been looking at a used 180 72 sterling silver bell model with a 43 pipe. I am a big Chris Botti fan and love that big bright dark tone. I have blown Chris's trumpet but would still like to stay in the Bach stable. I know that the martin was based on a conical bore design somewhat similar to the Vindabonna. Any feed back on this topic would be appreciated. I also have a few bach ML replacement slides and I would like to know if these slides can be used on all Vindabonas if anyone can cinfirm this.
Perhaps the old ones were made differently???
richard.autenzio@bigpond.com

forrest
08-21-2011, 10:46 PM
An ML slide will fit an MLV, but you lose the step bore, since it occurs in the tuning slide. The slide will not fit a (*) Lightweight horn.

Instead of the 43 leadpipe, talk to Charlie Melk - his MTV521 is a great pipe for a 72 bell - it really opened my 72G MLV up.

Pocket Trumpet
08-21-2011, 11:53 PM
An ML slide will fit an MLV, but you lose the step bore, since it occurs in the tuning slide. The slide will not fit a (*) Lightweight horn.

Instead of the 43 leadpipe, talk to Charlie Melk - his MTV521 is a great pipe for a 72 bell - it really opened my 72G MLV up.

Thanks for your help forrest. Does the Charlie Melk pipe make the horn brighter, darker more or less focused or just fatter? I already have a number of horns like a Benge 70's 3X+ a King Silver flair from the 60's and a Conn Connstelation from the 50's but I have always wanted to try a Vindabona as I have had a Bach 72 and 37 Lightweight in the past. The 72 was the better of the two. What I have will probably do but I will never know unless I try one of these vindabona's. I am after that warm lyrical sound that in the lower register leans towards a dark flugel sound but still has the edge and some brillance of a trumpet What year is yours?
Do you know if the older ones, say from around the 60-70's are any different from the newer ones?

forrest
08-22-2011, 08:10 AM
My 72 MLV is current production - it's 4 months old. The 521 pipe filled the sound out compared to the 25 pipe, with rich tones and color. It also opened the upper register up.

I've not played a 60's or 70's MLV but my 72* is from 1970 and it's a great horn - best I own. I' d love to try an early Elkhart 72 MLV if it plays anything like my 72*.

Pocket Trumpet
08-22-2011, 06:01 PM
My 72 MLV is current production - it's 4 months old. The 521 pipe filled the sound out compared to the 25 pipe, with rich tones and color. It also opened the upper register up.

I've not played a 60's or 70's MLV but my 72* is from 1970 and it's a great horn - best I own. I' d love to try an early Elkhart 72 MLV if it plays anything like my 72*.
I thought that the Vindabona came with a 43 pipe as standard not a 25. Bach says this about the 43 pipe" More open feeling with less resistance and more flexibility than 25. Brighter sound"
My 72* which I am sorry i sold was from the 80's and was a great horn but I had no use for a trumpet at the time and so I sold it anlong with my 37* and kept my Benge 3X+ only because it came from a friend who had just died.
If only I had kept my old horns I would now be able to appreciate them more than I did then because when I took up the horn again I reset my embochure and it has never been better even though I have had to start all over again. However I have learnt a hell of a lot more about trumpets, Mouthpieces and Mutes. I have even worked out how Miles got the sound he did out of a aliminum mute. I have even collected the three basic Wow Wow models harmon have made which includes an original Chicago one with a serial number on the side of the belly. I also have a milling machine which is like a drill press but much more accurate and I have been experimenting drilling out my Bach mouthpieces because as you know the standard #27 drill hole was only a pilot hole. Bach would then ream it out to the size the player required. This accounts for the lack of a short sylinderical section in most Bach mouthpieces that other makers have and most consider a very important part of a mouthpiece. If you are interested in exchanging Ideas on these subjects then contact me directly on richard.autenzio@bigpond.com. I don't usually like putting technical information on forums as I don't wish to add to readers confusion with all the other information on line.
Speak soon I hope. Richard.

forrest
08-22-2011, 06:35 PM
The 72 MLV standard leadpipe is not a 25, but that's how Bach prefers to build them today. I had one 3 years ago (Tedd Waggoner picked it out for me instead of the 38 Medium bore I thought I wanted) and this new 72 MLV. you can check the Bach website to see what they say standard leadpipe is.

The 43 I tried didn't impress me, but the Melk 521 sure does.

Pocket Trumpet
08-22-2011, 08:54 PM
The 72 MLV standard leadpipe is not a 25, but that's how Bach prefers to build them today. I had one 3 years ago (Tedd Waggoner picked it out for me instead of the 38 Medium bore I thought I wanted) and this new 72 MLV. you can check the Bach website to see what they say standard leadpipe is.

The 43 I tried didn't impress me, but the Melk 521 sure does.
That's good to know. I will look into the Melk 521 pipe now. Thanks Forrest.
Just to follow up on one other reason for drilling out the throat, is for me, I can change trumpets and adjust the blow from one horn to another to make the resistance feel similar on all with the same mouthpiece but just a different throat. I remember Lew Solloff saying something like this years ago when he was blowing a old medium bore Bach. He said by drilling the throat he got a simlar result to a ML bore bach out of his horn. This set up suited the horn and himself.

Nespy
08-30-2011, 09:51 AM
My Vindabona is from 1969 and it is, by far, the best Bach I've ever played. I haven't played any other Vindabonas, so I don't know how it compares with a more recent model.

Pocket Trumpet
08-30-2011, 05:50 PM
My Vindabona is from 1969 and it is, by far, the best Bach I've ever played. I haven't played any other Vindabonas, so I don't know how it compares with a more recent model.
Thanks Nespy, It's very difficult to come by owners of the MLV. What other horns do you have to compare it with and what mouthpiece size do youy use. I take it that your MLV has the standard 43 pipe. Even though I have done it I am not that keen to change the leadpipe on my horns. I have been experimenting with drilling out the throats on my Bach 6 mouthpieces instead of changing the instrument. Actually, finincially this has been quite an expensive exercise because I have had to buy a lot of Bach 6's mouthpieces to experiment with. It does leave a classic instrument in original condition though.

Nespy
08-31-2011, 01:21 PM
Let's see...horns I've compared it to: Bach 37, 43; Taylor Custom (I loved this horn...should have never sold it); Kanstul 1500B, Model X; Wild Thing; Yamaha EM; MF Horn; Callet Jazz; Schilke X3, B3, B6. The Vindabona is what I use for everything. I use a 1C when I need to play it for Orchestral, a 3C for most playing and a smaller piece for lead playing.

It generally plays with a very warm, round sound but brightens up quite a bit with my smaller piece for lead. I would place this horn above all that I have played, with the Taylor being a close second. I think I enjoyed the all around sound of the Taylor more but I can manipulate my sound from the Bach with less effort, so it's a trade I can live. Although, I still miss the Taylor for the fullness of sound that the horn retained for lead playing.

Pocket Trumpet
08-31-2011, 03:58 PM
Let's see...horns I've compared it to: Bach 37, 43; Taylor Custom (I loved this horn...should have never sold it); Kanstul 1500B, Model X; Wild Thing; Yamaha EM; MF Horn; Callet Jazz; Schilke X3, B3, B6. The Vindabona is what I use for everything. I use a 1C when I need to play it for Orchestral, a 3C for most playing and a smaller piece for lead playing.

It generally plays with a very warm, round sound but brightens up quite a bit with my smaller piece for lead. I would place this horn above all that I have played, with the Taylor being a close second. I think I enjoyed the all around sound of the Taylor more but I can manipulate my sound from the Bach with less effort, so it's a trade I can live. Although, I still miss the Taylor for the fullness of sound that the horn retained for lead playing.
Thats a good wrap Nespy. I just hope I can find one that plays as good. They do vary. I just missed one last year from the 60's. When I spotted it, it had already just been sold.
I will find one eventually. Thanks for all your help. Richard.

forrest
09-04-2011, 08:29 PM
Not mine, but there is a 1965 MLV on eBay now. Search item number 190573141201

Looks in really great shape. Maybe if no one else bids on it I can pick it up cheap. Looks like a great horn built the first year of Elkhart production.

Pocket Trumpet
09-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Not mine, but there is a 1965 MLV on eBay now. Search item number 190573141201

Looks in really great shape. Maybe if no one else bids on it I can pick it up cheap. Looks like a great horn built the first year of Elkhart production.
Thanks Forrest. Saw that but he won't ship out of the US.( I am in Australia) I don't know why some won't do that because we are good bidders and we often pay more. I see a lot of good horns sell cheap because they will only accept buyers from the US. I offered a guy the other day $120 for a cheap cornet because he said he would like to get $85 for it. I also offered him another $100 shipping which would have only cost him about $60-$70 to ship and he said no. The cornet finally sold for $60-$70. You have no idea how many time this has happened. I remember years ago being very lucky finding a book I wanted and won it for only $1. I could not acceot it until he agreed to take $5- because I was paying hi $15 for postage. Anyway it looks like a great horn. Just what I was looking for however for the record I can't even contact him. It says seller is not able to respond to my questions. Good luck forrest I hope you get it.