PDA

View Full Version : Information on Frank Hplton Trumpet Serial # 27436

justshar
09-02-2011, 02:23 AM
I would appreciate any information on this instrument. Has been in the family for years and nephew want to play it.

holtonloyalist
09-04-2011, 11:32 AM
Most likely mfg. in 1914-1915 time era. Would guess that Frank Holton & Co, Chicago is engraved on the bell... Any other unique markings?

justshar
09-05-2011, 04:57 PM
yes, made by Frank Holton & co Chicago is on the bell. On the middle valve it says "union" then in side a marking mpbp then b&sw label.
Under neath that it says Frank Holton & company and underneath that Chicago and underneath that 27436. Is there a chance it is worth something more than a great instrument after all these years?

Shar

stevericks
09-05-2011, 08:30 PM
yes, made by Frank Holton & co Chicago is on the bell. On the middle valve it says "union" then in side a marking mpbp then b&sw label.
Under neath that it says Frank Holton & company and underneath that Chicago and underneath that 27436. Is there a chance it is worth something more than a great instrument after all these years?

Shar

What do you mean by the last question?

I have a 1924 Holton-good playing horn. Does it have a mouthpiece in the case (I hope)? You need to know that today's mouthpieces were not designed for its receiver. Some can work (though wobbly), others won't. An incorrect mouthpiece gap could cause the player all types of issues -especially if they aren't aware of the problem. Also, some of the horns made in that ear were pitched for the old standard, not the new one (meaning they really can't be used with modern horns). Mine has an LF (for low frequency) marked on the leadpipe to indicate it is pitched to modern times.

justshar
09-05-2011, 10:41 PM
There are 2 mouth pieces in the case as well as the music holderThe first is shorter maybe 2 inches long. On the piece is says Frank Holton Chicago and a number 27.
The second mouth piece is twice the size of the first and has just the Frank Holton Chicago. My question is this...is this instrument too nice to let my nephew have to mess with? It is a silver color, if that helps.
Any reply is appreciated.

Shar

stevericks
09-06-2011, 07:24 AM
Shar,

While I am not sure which of the Holton horns you have, most of the older horns go on e-bay for between $200-$1000. Even if it was $1000, that is in the range of a new beginner horn. How old is your nephew? I started playing in 5th grade and was given a talk on the value of my horn. I played a pro horn from 7th grade on and only remember gettig one dink in it (which can be removed fairly easily, depending on the location). Most of the folks my age placed a great deal of emphasis on "care for the horn" and references like "my mistress, or the other woman" are occasionally used comically to show that they were well treated. Of course, a generation or two of guitar smashing kids have grown up so it is really your call as to how you think your nephew would treat the horn. THere is also the idea that a horn being played is better than one sitting in a case and being played.