PDA

View Full Version : Frank Holton Special valve trombone chicago made 1911?

timbo
09-11-2011, 02:29 PM
I own a Frank Holton special valve trombone with original case and mouthpiece and it is in excellent condition and plays perfect with all slides working. My father bought this for me back in 1979 from an old jazz player who has long since passed and I was wondering if this is a rare piece or not and what the value might be. I have checked many auction sites and cannot find anything of this age. the serial number on the middle valve is 10741 and has a o over frank holton chicago. On the bell the serial number is 10256. would they buy two different pieces for a certian sound? I was wondering if anybody could help me in finding out how much this is worth and if it is rare . Thank You, Tim

holtonloyalist
09-11-2011, 08:28 PM
This is a very, very early Holton trombone. The original trombone would have had matching serial numbers, but it is not unusual to have replaced one or the other through the years...

It is very hard to say what this trombone is worth, but would guess more than $500-700 - maybe more if you found a collector of old models of valve trombones, etc... I would hang onto the instrument, sounds like you have a great story about it...

Upload some images if you get a chance.