PDA

View Full Version : Is my Holton worth fixing

Holton trumpet
09-12-2011, 11:39 AM
My father was a quite decent trumpeter who played in Canada in a number of small orchestras in the 1930s and 1940s. I have his Holton trumpet, circa 1935. It is nickel silver, but I don't have the exact model handy (it resides in my mothers basement).

My daughter is now learning the trumpet--she is in her second year. I am wondering if the trumpet is worth considering for her or not....if it has the potential to be a decent trumpet it would be a neat thing for her to play her grandfather's trumpet.

My father's trumpet was the subject of a childhod squabble between my brother and my sister in about 1970 and as a result the neck was bent near the mouthpiece.

I have a few related questions.....is the trumpet worth fixing? If it was fixed, would this be a good trumpet for her? Is it likely to be better or worse than a typical trumpet these days? How would I get it fixed if I wanted to fix it?

Any and all thoughts welcome!!

coolerdave
09-14-2011, 09:42 PM
My father was a quite decent trumpeter who played in Canada in a number of small orchestras in the 1930s and 1940s. I have his Holton trumpet, circa 1935. It is nickel silver, but I don't have the exact model handy (it resides in my mothers basement).

My daughter is now learning the trumpet--she is in her second year. I am wondering if the trumpet is worth considering for her or not....if it has the potential to be a decent trumpet it would be a neat thing for her to play her grandfather's trumpet.

My father's trumpet was the subject of a childhod squabble between my brother and my sister in about 1970 and as a result the neck was bent near the mouthpiece.

I have a few related questions.....is the trumpet worth fixing? If it was fixed, would this be a good trumpet for her? Is it likely to be better or worse than a typical trumpet these days? How would I get it fixed if I wanted to fix it?

Any and all thoughts welcome!!

worth fixing all depends on what it is going to finally cost you once a tech looks at it. I am not sure thi ssite is active any more. I do use it for reference. I would reccomend Trumpetmasters.com for more timely help. I personally really love the Holtons and they are professional quality horns. Hope to see you over at TM

holtonloyalist
09-15-2011, 04:32 PM
Sounds like you have a great playing trumpet. The Holton trumpet you describe would make a great trumpet for a student to learn to play on. I would get it cleaned, and straightened at your local good music store, and let her play it. Any unique markings on the instrument? What is engraved on the bell? on the valve section (serial number), and on the mouthpiece receiver (model?)

There are other trumpet forums out there, you could also check - but a core group of fellow Holton & Bach players here...

coolerdave
09-19-2011, 04:36 AM
Sounds like you have a great playing trumpet. The Holton trumpet you describe would make a great trumpet for a student to learn to play on. I would get it cleaned, and straightened at your local good music store, and let her play it. Any unique markings on the instrument? What is engraved on the bell? on the valve section (serial number), and on the mouthpiece receiver (model?)

There are other trumpet forums out there, you could also check - but a core group of fellow Holton & Bach players here...

well that is good to know.. the general word in the other forums was this site was abandoned ... I am really glad it's not. Next to my Bach Strad. my 1962 Symphony is right there.

DickGraysn
09-23-2011, 11:09 AM
I have a Holton st-200 the S/N puts it being made in 1968, my dad bought it for me in 1975. The Music store still had it sitting on the shelf. I think they gave dad a good price but he never would tell me. But I am off track here... My daughter is playing trumpet and using my trumpet. Her second year it fell off her lap and hit the leg of the stand making a good dent in the taper of the bell. It was suggested to me that we take it to Mr Rich Ita to have it fixed. http://www.brassinstrumentworkshop.com/ People ship horns to him from all over the country, and he is very Good. He got a hold of a Bach in bad shape has totaly repaired it with a double silver plating and my daughter is buying it. if you wish a repair check with Mr Ita.