PDA

View Full Version : Bach "Artisan" waist of money?

tommyfix
10-18-2011, 06:51 AM
I've put a lot of miles on my Bach 43 laquered horn since 1976. I was very disappointed when Ron Parch (considered by many, the go to guy from Toronto on instrument repair) that my Bach had served me well but was done and not worth repairing. I have a couple of new horns coming in for evaluation. One is the "Artisan". I cannot find anything that would suggest the Artisan is worth the extra 600.00! I'm after sound, quality in build, additional features affecting performance, not cosmetic. Does anyone have some helpful advice? Thanks, Tom

treyjones
10-18-2011, 10:02 PM
Get a yamaha they are the bomb I love mine

trumpetnz
11-12-2011, 04:46 PM
I played a Bach Artisan yesterday for the first time. It seemed similar to other Bach Strads, however seemed to resonate even more. I was impressed with the 'fullness' and depth of sound especially around the low/middle register. I'm not sure whether the difference was significant however.

nplotts1
11-15-2011, 02:11 PM
Have you tried any brands other than Bach? I have never been a huge fan of the Bach sound ( I have only played on 2000 and newer Bachs). There are plenty of worthy competitors such as Yamaha, Kanstul (which also makes many custom branded horns, like my ZeuS), Schilke, and others. If you are willing to spend even more money, you can go with a smaller volume shop like Eclipse, Taylor, or Harrelson. Earlier today I played a Schilke HD 22 and 32 (first time I have played any Schilke model) against a Yamaha Xeno Chicago. The Xeno was brighter and not to my liking compared to the Schilkes, which to me were equals to each other.

However, if you really like the horn you have now and want to keep that one, try another repair shop. Kanstul does rebuild/restoration of horns, and Rich Ita in Marietta, GA USA is (from what I hear) one of the best brass repair men. There is also Dr. Valve. If push comes to shove, you could always email some professional players and ask their opinion of repair shops.

Austyn Sullivan-Watson
12-21-2011, 04:52 PM
I have tried out many Bach Artisans and I have found that they slot very well. Yet I haven't played to many different regular 180 series Bach's, but I have tried out a couple LR180S37's and 43's and could tell that they slotted in very well. But I never tried out a Bach Artisan against to many horns so I couldn't tell you what the difference was. I would say go to a location where you know they have many horns, or order them in like you said you were doing. Hope this helps!