PDA

View Full Version : Mf st5503

95XL883
11-15-2011, 10:32 PM
Hi. My 13 year old has been playing a Yamaha Advantage for the last two years. He seems to be getting serious about trumpet playing. He is a good kid and very responsible. His Advantage is still in great shape. So, this afternoon we went to a local custom trombone and trumpet builder who also services and sells used trumpets. After trying several trumpets, we took home a Holton MF ST550S to try for a week. It is in great shape, not a ding on it and the silver plating is beautiful. It was traded in by a professional musician for a custom trumpet. I'm not musically inclined at all but it sounded nicer than the Yamaha 6335SP and the Bach Strad they have. I generally have a pretty good feel for moving parts. In my opinion, its valves moved wonderfully, very smooth with consistent pressure and returns. The front and back slides also moved very smoothly and consistently with just slight resistance. It was obviously much easier for my son to play than his Advantage and the Strad. The Yamaha 6335 played similarly but not quite as well. Still it was very good. It's case is also in excellent condition. It looks to be the original case.

The dilemma is we know almost nothing about Holton. We understand it is now owned by Conn-Selmer but the one we are looking at is serial number 223xxx, so it appears to be well before Conn.

I guess the real question at this point is what is a reasonable price for a near perfect Holton MF ST550S?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give us.