PDA

View Full Version : holton trumpet

techodie@gmail.com
01-28-2012, 02:26 PM
Hi, I myself do not play an instrument but I have a trumpet my mother played in school in 1933-1935. It is a silver trumpet made by Frank Holton and Co. patent date 1924. The numer on valve #2 is 93663 and below the patent date is #1. it has flowers and vines engraved on the bell. Can anyone tell me anything about this trumpet? I have kept it after my mothers death because it was made the same year she was born and I thought one of the grandkids would like to own it one day. Thanks...

holtonloyalist
01-28-2012, 06:03 PM
It was mfg. in the 1929-1930 time frame, and most likely one of the semi-professional models. Do you see any unique markings on the mouthpiece receiver? ie. 48, 49, ...

techodie@gmail.com
01-28-2012, 06:46 PM
235234233232231230the mouth piece has number 38 on it and the words Equa-tru on one side and H.N. White Co. I can't say for sure that this is the original mouth piece, my brothers played trombone and french horn in school and my have switched out mouthpieces for one reason or another. For a long time my mother couldn't find the mouthpiece so I purchased a new one which is still in it's box and later my mother found the one she thought was her mouthpiece. She thought that because it was a smaller version. It was nice to find out about when this horn was made. I didn't know if the patent date of Oct. 2 1924 was the year it was made or just when this model was designed. I am going to try to send some picture if I can figure it out... I did have it refurbished in 1995 and had to have 2 pieces of brass set in as you will see on the pictures.. Thanks Again

holtonloyalist
01-28-2012, 08:56 PM
Are there any markings where the mouthpiece goes into (the receiver)? Look closely...

techodie@gmail.com
01-28-2012, 09:42 PM
The only thing I see on the receiver is the letters LP. Thats about a quarter to a third of an inch from the end. I looked around the edge and further down the shaft but that was all I see. Did you see the pictures? Do you think it is pretty good shape for the age? An area music store told me I might have to get new seatings if anyone actually wanted to play it but the guy there blew a few note on it.....

holtonloyalist
01-29-2012, 07:44 AM
Thanks. Some more details on your trumpet.

the LP = means Low Pitch

More than likely your trumpet is a model 45, later they were named (and engraved on the bell) the Revelation model. Here's another example of a similar trumpet mfg. in 1925.

http://www.holtonloyalist.com/images/trumpets/model45_154445.jpg

Hope you enjoy playing it...