PDA

View Full Version : Im sure I never played that well

chetmurray
02-17-2012, 04:51 PM
Hey everyone. Newbie here and am fresh off my first 10 minutes back on the mouthpiece. What in the hell happened to my mouth and my tone? Been away from it since 1985 serious playing (college music major) and I just think right now that it was all just a nice dream and that I never really was able to play as high, long, and with the great tone I could, did, and had. Baby steps and long low tones I guess.

I bought, in a second hand store, an old trumpet without a case for 30 bucks. Its an early Holton serial no. 87017, 1925 era. I havent gotten serious about cleaning it, but the valves are free, tuning slide is free, 1st and 2nd tuning slides are stuck, so far. It also appears to be missing a part of a mechanism for the main tuning slide on the lead tube.

I am just wondering if anyone knows anything about where I might get more info, besides HoltonLoyalty site, or if that is my source. The horn, according to the seller, was found in a landfill near Lead, South Dakota. I just bought it cause it was old, but now see that maybe it would be worth fixing up. I cant find what model it is by the serial number search on the Holton site. Everything is hand etched, though. Pretty cool.

Thanks for your help!! Chet

jbeights
03-08-2012, 05:51 PM
Hey Chet,

Just be patient it will come back. I started playing again about three years ago after being off since 1987. I took me about 4-5 months to start to feel comfortable again. I then started taking lessons from Bruce Haag online. He is a fantastic teacher and he helped me a great deal. My high range is now up to a high G from a high C from where I started, my technical and flexibility are way better than college and endurance is through the roof. I would encourage you to contact him. Well worth the investment. His website is www.brucehaag.com. Good luck!

chetmurray
03-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Thank you for the insight and the tip on Bruce Haag. I appreciate it.

jbeights
03-08-2012, 07:51 PM
No problem! He is really a remarkable teacher. I cannot stress that enough.