View Full Version : Need help dentifying a maker/model/year

04-20-2012, 12:26 AM
I need some help identifying a maker/model/year of a trumpet. I've looked around several places and even asked my local music shop and they have no clue who made it

First off, it's a Trumpet, not a Coronet. It's silver (possibly silver-plated?).

I found the the number "709" stamped on the valve body, under the "1 2 3" that marks the valves. I also found the same number stamped on the first bend in the lead pipe.

The only other marks I found on it was the words "Student Model" and "American Made", which is surrounded by some type of big leaf design engraved in the bell.

I think it's in the original case, but it's in rough shape.

"709" on the valve body

"709" on the lead pipe bend

"Student Model" and "American Made" engraving on the bell

Case it came to me in

I would like to fix it up to play it, but I want to know if it's worth it.

The valves all move freely, but all the slides are stuck shut.

The supports have all come loose at some point in it's life and someone did a VERY poor job of trying to solder them back on, and one must have broken off at some point because neither of them match.

The bell section that attaches to the valve body has also come loose and again, someone did a VERY poor job of trying to solder it back together.

It does have a pretty decent sound, if I hold the bell on.

04-20-2012, 03:47 AM
I looked at your photos, and it most likely from the era of the 1940-1950's. This is what was is called a "Stencil" horn, most likely manufactured by Conn, or similar manufacturer at the time. The 709 was most likely the model number - but because this was a student model, stencil horn for a music store, or distribution company - there is probably not more information available. I'll keep looking through my references, but most likely will not find anything more.

04-20-2012, 10:14 AM
Thank you for looking into it for me. I appreciate it.

But the question still remains as to whether to fix it or *cringe* scrap it.

04-20-2012, 04:27 PM
I would not spend more than $100 to get it playable. At best it would be worth around $200 or so... Might be able to get the items listed above fixed for that amount.