PDA

View Full Version : Silver Holton Identification Request

pdxpower
05-24-2012, 03:37 PM
My parents purchased a silver plated Holton trumpet for me that I used during my high school years. I am now passing it along to a cousin who has been playing for a few years. I wanted to identify the model and age of the horn first.

The bell says Made by Frank Holton and Co., Elkhorn, WI in pretty simple type. It also has Made in France stamped on the horn as well as the Brevete S.G.D.G. patent term. The serial number is 18382 and the Letter A is stamped in the lead pipe.

I appreciate your site and your willingness to provide this information! Thanks a lot!

holtonloyalist
05-26-2012, 07:34 AM
My guess is that this was made for Holton by a European mfg... Might have been Besson? or perhaps the Aadiworks Brass Instrument Company.

Here's an example with similar engraving?

http://www.homerweb.com/vintage/Vintage-1920s-Auguste-Buffet-Brevete-SGDB-PARIS-Frank-Holton-WOOD-CLARINET-_320821438044.html

pdxpower
06-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Thanks so much for that information. So someone else could have made it for Holton and not put their name on it anywhere?

admin
06-02-2012, 05:37 AM
Actually that was very common, and happens today (for example Kanstul mfg. instruments for a wide variety of manufacturers today)