PDA

View Full Version : questions about old Holton

jdorer
06-04-2012, 11:39 AM
A friend picked up an old Frank Holton trumpet and I was looking for some more information on it . The bell is stamped Frank Holton and co Elkhorn Wis. there is not any type of model on the horn anywhere. The serial number is 700** and as best as I can tell from stuff on the internet it is possibly circa 1920's. The case is with it and in fairly good shape with a green interior. The horn has a few dings and some obvious repairs but still plays well. The strange thing is it has an extra set of slides with it. It is a Bb horn but I am almost thinking it was designed to transform to a C horn but I could not get it there with the extra slides. Can you help? Was there a horn designed to be a conversion. Can you give me some idea of the history behind it and what it is worth?

holtonloyalist
06-05-2012, 06:51 PM
That extra set of slides are more than likely an Key of A set of slides, in addition to the Bb model. This was common at the time.

Worth is highly dependent on the condition and the specific model. Would guess a few hundred dollars if it was in great condition.

jdorer
06-07-2012, 10:51 AM
Is there such a thing as a B trumpet. I put the extra slides in and used a chromatic tuner. When I was playing a C the tuner registered a B

admin
06-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Could be a C set of slides? that is really out of tune?