PDA

View Full Version : Bach Mercedes

Larry Whorley
09-17-2013, 01:57 PM
I have a Mercedes, serial number 82758. When I got it, it was nickel plated. I have since put on gold plating. Interested in a value and year made.
thanks.

asoralvin
12-11-2013, 01:59 AM
I have a Mercedes, serial number 82758. When I got it, it was nickel plated. I have since put on gold plating. Interested in a value and year made.
thanks.

Value of course is driven by demand and the demand for for a Strad is higher than that of a Mercedes. Your horn produced in approximately 1972 would get more attention because it is a good period of quality control than the years just preceding and those during and post strike. The gold on nickel is a long lasting and ideal combo for a gold plated horn as the nickel will not oxidize 'thru' the gold as a rule...with silver it will. How well it plays is to be judged relative to a Strad. If it plays as well or better than the average Strad (which is a good possibility)and is being sold through a local music store where it can be tried, its likely that you can get up to $1200. for it. If sold on the internet it will suffer from not being a Strad despite its playing characteristics...unless perhaps you or an excellent player showcases it on Youtube...pointing out everything from its playing characteristics to its custom gold on nickle finish. Bottom line is, how well you market it is how well you collect on its positive qualities.

Larry Whorley
12-11-2013, 12:48 PM
Thanks so very much for the information. I tried to figure out the age by the serial number but wasn't able to get a year out of it. You put the value about where I thought it was and I do appreciate your reply.

Thanks again.:o