PDA

View Full Version : Intermediate trumpet choice

Casper
02-26-2006, 07:20 AM
Hello All,

I am hoping to get some advice here from experienced trumpet players. I have been playing saxophone and clarinet for 25 years, although originally I wanted to play the trumpet. Over Christmas I bought a cheap Chineese trumpet just to try out what it is like. Turns out I am now playing every day and enjoying it more than I ever did the reed instruments.

I am now thinking of upgrading to a better horn. The two trumpets I am trinking about are the Getzen 590 capri and the Yamaha 4335G. What would you recommend? From what I heard the Yamaha is more free blowing and has more modern engineering and the Getzen has superior valves. I can't find anything but positive reviews of either horn. What are the pros and cons?

Casper

JazzInBb
02-26-2006, 09:30 AM
My main horn in high school was a Capri, and even in college when the instructor mandated Bach 37's for orchestra, I played the Getzen for marching band. Great valves, decent tone.

The Capri is the "intermediate" line, but frankly I know of at least two pro's that use the Capri.

The only Yamaha I've ever played that I liked was the flugel - They sound thin to me.

You can find nice Capri's really cheap (under $200) on ebay all the time.

Getzenfan
02-26-2006, 02:28 PM
Well, I'd say try before you buy. Just go to a music store that has both and try them. Then just get the one you like more. Because I have a pro Getzen, I'm possibly biased to Getzen. Same with someone with a Yamaha. What works for one person wouldn't really work for someone else unless you try.

John King
03-14-2006, 07:58 PM
I must suggest a Bach........nothing compares.....ask around

joshyb
04-09-2006, 02:52 PM
I would recommend the 4335G. I recently bought one and havn't looked back, it has a great tone and power and is very free blowing. You can get them for around 400 (around $600 I think but don't quote me). Great value trumpet.