Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Bach Strad Bell 10-448

from my email today

I've been playing Bach trumpets exclusively for over 40 years. I am 52 years old, a professional lead trumpet player with 25+ years Broadway experience as well as playing lead for Buddy Rich in 1984 and Frank Sinatra from 1985-1991. I recently bought an interesting small bore NY Bach Bb trumpet with the leadpipe stamped with the #8 (extremely rare) and the bell is stamped 10-448 which I believe means it has a 10 bell (rare) and a .448 (fairly rare) bore size. My question is does anyone know what an #8 leadpipe's taper is or how it compares to the standard 25, 25-O, 43, 44, and 7 leadpipes on Bach Bb trumpets? In my entire career, which included a brief stint as a salesman at Giardinelli's in NYC, I have never come across one of these, part of the reason I bought it. Any info you could pass on would be appreciated.

Bach Strad Bell 10-448

I've not known anyone that had a "8" leadpipe before on a Bach trumpet. You are correct the 10 (bell) 448 (bore) is what I've seen on other early Bach small bore strads... The 8 leadpipe was one of those iterations that I guess never became popular. I'm assuming you have the shop card for this trumpet? (if not talk to Conn Selmer in Elkhart, and ask politely for a copy of the shop card). It would be interesting to see who the trumpet was made for, and any othe references to the 8 leadpipe...

How does it play? Anyone else here on the forums seen on of these before?

3. Bach Srad Bell 10-48, #10 Bell, .448 (small) bore

Hello fellow BachLoyalists,

I'm the originator of this thread and owner of the instrument above with a four diigit ser. number 3XXX. I also have a 3 digit ser. #7XX goldplated ML bore NY Bach (Faciebat anno 1928) and another four digit laquered ML bore NY Bach serial #5XXX. One has a #7 leadpipe and the other has the #6 leadpipe which to me feels less open and bright as the horn with the #7. The reason I bought this horn on EBay about a month ago, is that after working with quite a few of the major trumpeters here in the NYC area I wanted to check out a smaller bore ( or multi bore instrument like the CG Benge or CG Selmer and then saw this horn. I've played mostly ML bore trumpets my entire career, most of it as a lead trumpet player.

It seemed that the bidders involved didn't know (or played dumb) what the numbers on the bell meant and the owner a woman who found the horn in her attic knew even less. The only thing that seemed certain was that this was a NY Bach trumpet with a very low ser. number. I then "Googled" the bell stamp marks which lead me here and the Trumpetmaster™ websites and found out what they meant before bidding and eventually winning it. The #8 leadpipe seems to balance out the small bore nicely and my guess is it might be a fairly open pipe. It doesn't seem as open as my other two ML bore NY Bach trumpets, but perhaps it's a matter of balancing the resistance better with a larger back-bore mouthpiece or it might be a gap issue though the receiver seems in good shape. Nonetheless, I can produce a pretty consistent and solid High G above High C on it, so what more do you need for most gigs?

I'm going to bring this into NYC repairman Josh Landress for an inspection to see if he can take a few measurements that might give me more info. I'll pass on whatever I learn. In general all my NY Bach trumpets seem very lightweight and more closely wrapped than the current or Mt. Vernon models of which I own 1 that's a regular weight ML bore. I'll also contact Conn Selmer as you suggested, as I'd love to get the shop cards for all four horns, thanks for the advice as I didn't think they did that anymore!

Best Wishes,
    ttrumpetguy