Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
  1. Al Cass vs. Hetman #2 valve oil

Any opinions out there on Hetman valve oils? My local music store now carries Hetman, and says it is much better than the Al Cass I've been using for years...

Opinions out there?

2. I also used Al Cass for many years...I have a vintage 1965 Connstellation and I was never happy with my valves. I was actually considering having them replated and a friend suggested the Hetman classic oil. I tried it out and now I use only that on my '65 and I use Hetman light piston oil on my '86 strad and my picc. Al Cass is a good oil, but for what I do, Hetman has become the only thing I'll use on my horns.
    James
    1986 Bach 37
    1965 Connstellation 38B
    1981 Bach 189 Eb 239 Bell EL Bore
    2004 Schilke P5-4 MA
    Monette Prana B2S3, B4LDS1, E2S3, AP5L

3. Sorry to get off subject but I have a question to. My question is, what valve oil is better, Blue Juice or Fat Cat valve oil? I was just wondering because I have used Fat Cat valve oil on my trumpet before and it is good, but I have never tried Blue Juice.

A friend of mine gave me a bottle of Hetman while we were doing a show a couple years ago, at the time ,I was sold solidly on ZAJA oil because it didn't gum up the valves like Cass did. Anyway, once I used the Hetman, I found that it was cleaner although a bit thinner than anything I have used before. At this point , it's all that I use on any of my horns.

I used Al Cass for years but switched to Hetman because it works much better on the stainless steel valves of my Carol Brass horns. Now I use it on all my horns.

Cheers,
    Dave

6. Al Cass is good if you clean your horn every time your done practicing or just finished a gig. Al Cass works like super weak engine oil: one bit of dirt or even an insignificant speck, and your done for. I mostly use it along with my slide grease 'cause it helps break it down, sink into the metal a bit more and helps it slide. As for Blue Juice vs. Fat Cat, I use Blue Juice primarily because one: it actually FEELS like the valves are getting cleaned and oiled at the same time; two: cleans my horn (actually, but don't use too much or you'll build up calcium); and three: make my trumpet smell nice, believe it or not.
    belltrumpetplayer19

I wake up in the morning, I do a little stretching exercises, pick up the horn and play.
    Herb Alpert