Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. An Olds L-12 is still a good flugelhorn; I own one as well as its yellow-brass belled twin, the Reynolds FU-52. I wouldn't call it the best, though, although it's certainly more than adequate for just about any use. Incidentally, Art Farmer played a number of different flugelhorns over the years (Couesnon, Besson, Kanstul, possibly more); you can read a bit about one of his horns which is currently owned by Dmitri Matheny:
    http://dmitrimatheny.com/fr_flugelhorn.cfm

I believe it was sold recently, but during a visit with Flip Oakes a couple of years ago, I had the pleasure of seeing the first Kanstul ZKF-1525 made, which was presented to Art Farmer. After Farmer's death, Flip (who designed horns for Kanstul) acquired it from the Farmer estate.

Dmitri, thanks for the lowdown on the Art Farmer/Olds connection. I fell in love with the sound of my Olds without any consideration of which famous players may have used them. As far as "best" flugelhorn; It's the one that sounds best to the guy playing it. If I encounter a Wild Thing, I will try it. Thanks

3. Correction - I'm not Dmitri, just a fan. I also love the sound of my Olds, I just enjoy the sound of my ZKF-1525 more, and the responsiveness (and sound) of the Wild Thing more, but the Olds does have a great sound.