Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
  1. 1954 Holton Collegiate

Howdy, y'all,

I haven't played in a few years. Mostly singing and playing keyboards these days.

My voice teacher returned my Holton Collegiate that I discovered, thanks to the serial # list, to have been made in 1954, older than me. One of his sons had been using it and it's now in rough shape. I was impressed with the overhaul by Mr. Tuck Tellier at Tuck's Music Store in NY state, and here's an example:
    http://www.tucksmusicstore.com/HoltonColSilverBell.html

I'm prepared to invest a few $100s to have my horn overhauled, as I've owned it for coupla decades now. Ya never know; might start playing 4th parts in the local community band.

Anyone else have experience w/ Mr. Tellier's overhauls? Just wanna be sure before I hand over the $.

Thanks kindly.

Andy in The (rainy) OC.

2. Holton

Hi Andy The Collegiate is a great little horn but was sold as a student model and does not warrant spending a lot of money on it..Save your money and go ebay and buy an Olds Super. You will not be dissapoimted..Mike

3. Thanks for your note, Mike. I now realize that I'm feeling kinda sentimental about my Holton Collegiate, but, as you advise, it's more practical to get something else. Turns out that one of my cousins still has our late uncle's Selmer. Dunno which model, but I'll ask her what she wants for it. Might just clean up my Holton, and pass it on to my nephew who's interested in playing it.