Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
  1. unusual holton need help

I have a silver Holton trumpet, 1922 ser. # 75978.
    The unusual part is the extra parts. It has 4 extra slides and a case to match. At first I thought they were extra parts from another trumpet. But the case is made 4 the extra parts. I would like to know model? Use? Jazz? Case is in great shape, vintage stickers green interior. What should I spend to recondition? Where should I look for that person? Thanks

2. Posting pics would help, but I'd guess they were to convert the trumpet to another key - most likely "A".

The range for reconditioning is $500 or so for a simple refubrish and relacquer to well over $1,000 for a more extensive restoration, valve rebuild if needed and replate in silver. There are many fine folks out there - Tom Green, Steve Winans (Dr. Valve), Rich Ita, Charlie Melk and my guy - Bill Meyers are just a few of them.

Where are you located and how big of a hurry are you to get it back? Some guys run over a year for a restoration.

my 1921 holton-clarke cornet has 4 extra slides. One set is for high pitch and the other for low or modern pitch. A different system is used to switch key to A. The main tuning is simply extended almost full length and an adjustable stop rod holds it there. I'm guessing the other slides would be extended slightly to fine tune. Your trumpet may be the same as this (or not). You should be able to test for yourself with an electronic tuner.