Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Hello.

Hello.

Okay, I am fairly new to the forums for trumpets, and have a few questions. I will try to post them in the right area though.
    Okay, so to start with, I recently got what I was told was a C.G. Conn All Star trumpet from the 1920s, and it looks the part. But it needs work, and I am not completely sure that it is a C.G. Conn. The only marking I am seeing on it are the valve numbers, serial number and All Star with engraving on the bell.

and Serial number reads as 66838. Is there anyone that can help me get a little more information about this horn?

2. From a brief look, it looks like a Conn mouth pipe from that same era. However, do not think was a Conn model, rather was a stencil trumpet mfg. by Conn for another company. I'll search some more once I'm back on a full screen vs. My smart phone to see more of the details.

okay, so I think what I am getting from this is Conn built it but it is not a Conn. Sort of like how VW builds Bugatti but a Bugatti is not a VW?
    and thank you for your help.
    small collection
    1969 Conn Director
    Yamaha YTR2320
    ? All Star trumpet

4. Yes, similar. Today this happens by companies like Kanstul which makes there own trumpets, but also build for other trumpet manufacturers today.

okay, cool. Is there any way to tell for whom Conn built this for? Sorry, I just want to be correct when I am referring to it.

And another few questions about it. Other than personal value, would it be worth it to get this repaired? As far as I can tell it is not too far from working order. The valve springs were bent, but I changed them out from a $100 horn I had here, label said Mendini by cecilio, and got the valves working well. The MTS is stuck (not trying to fix that myself) and the braces on the leadpipe are coming off (middle is fine). All other slides are fine. I don't know if it is worth it to fix though. I don't want to take it in and it be too bad to fix like my YTR4320st was. It appearantly has corroded to a point where the slides had welded to the mounts (what i was told by the tech). But what did I expect for $50? Anyway, I only paid $120 for the All Star, and it plays (ahead of the 4320 already) but I would like to get it fully functional. What do you think, maybe $200 or so for the repair?
    small collection
    1969 Conn Director
    Yamaha YTR2320
    ? All Star trumpet