Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?

Thread: Found

1. Found

Hello, I recently came into possession of a trumpet made by Frank Holton & Co. It has seen its better days without a doubt, but I couldn't stand the thought of throwing it away. It is tarnished, has one of the buttons. I think those are mother of pearl, very pretty. The detai in the engravibg on the bell part is gorgeous! Anyway, I was hoping to get some information on this horn from someone/anyone. The serial number is 48944. I would appreciate all history.
    Thank You
    Bonny Collier

2. From the serial number I would assume a mfg. date of 1920-1921 for this instrument. The Holton company moved to Elkhorn, WI in 1918, so would assume this is an early Elkhorn model. Please confirm if the bell engraving says Elkhorn vs. Chicago.

3. Yes, it says Elkhorn, Wis on the bell part.

4. This trumpet would have been mfg. in the first 2-3 years at their new factory in Elkhorn...

5. Could you give me a ballpark figure on it's value possibly?

6. I've seen in very good condition sell for a few hundred dollars, but would average around $100. You can also do a advanced search on eBay completed auctions to see if you can find similar.

7. I see them with T-___ numbers, the only number I can find is 48944....what does that make this one?

8. This would be an example form the same era.

The T series was introduced later.