Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Reviews · Register  

1holton_T602.jpg

• Pin It

Holton T602
Reviews Views
10 24433
Recommended By Average Price Average Rating
100% of reviewers $310.80 7.4

Description:
The Holton T602 features a solid, pleasing tone with positive and quick valve action. Its outstanding appearance and finish, durable construction and surprisingly professional performance all belie its price. The T602 is an excellent trumpet value.
Search Lowest Price:

Bore (inch): 0.460
Bell (inch): 4.8125
Valves: Monel
Keywords: Holton T602
Social Media:
  • Pin It

Author
Anonymous
Review Date: 2/2/2004 Would you recommend the product? Yes | Price you paid?: $450.00 | Rating: 8 

Pros: Tone, durability, playability
Cons: none

I purchased this horn back in 1977 when I was in high school. It served well during the remainder of my high school years and 4 years of college marching and concert bands. I continue to play at least annually (Homecoming games) and was in the Alumni WInd Symphony for 4 years up until 2001 when I moved again. The horn continues to play well and even looks good (save a dent in the bell) without having had any rennovations. I'm about ready to teach my 9yo daughter to play and am getting her a good used 602 to learn on.

Anonymous
Review Date: 11/6/2004 Would you recommend the product? Yes | Price you paid?: None indicated | Rating: 4 

Pros: nice case that isn't plastic for the beginner
Cons: valves

I have the 1997 model of a Holton T602 (has no thumb ring). It is an ok trumpet which means it's better then the off brand Wexler or Rossetti trumpet on Ebay. But still the valves are not as good as a Bach

Anonymous
Review Date: 11/14/2004 Would you recommend the product? Yes | Price you paid?: $129.00 | Rating: 8 

Pros: Sturdy student performer
Cons: external valve stem felt

I am a former college/semi-pro level player loyal to my Schilke B2 horn. I wisely opted not to let my 11 yr old abuse this $2k level horn as a starting student at public school. We rented a predictable yamaha for a while but feared being hit with repair/replacement costs at MSRP $750. A wealth of used trumpets are to be found on ebay. This one was hardly used and in someones closet after a student quit after a year. An easy cleanup and it plays better then the Yamaha for beginning student. I picked up a small gig bag to make transport easier and am very pleased at the good value.

Review Date: 1/30/2005 Would you recommend the product? Yes | Price you paid?: $125.00 | Rating: 9 

Pros: Designed for the beginner, durable, good finish.
Cons: Not the ideal trumpet for the advanced player.

I've purchased 4 of these used on ebay, for resale to beginner students. They seem to consistently hold up well, keep a good finish, and the valves are consistently good, in spite of some of the poorly maintained condition some have arrived in. They center on the tone well, and are easy to produce a good sound. This will serve any beginner into their high school years, and can then be used for marching band due to it's durable construction.
Click here to see this users profile Click here to Send this user a Private Message Find more posts by this user  
Review Date: 12/15/2005 Would you recommend the product? Yes | Price you paid?: $450.00 | Rating: 8 

Pros: Bullet proof construction, fast problemfree valves, nice tone
Cons: case locks sometimes open when you don't want it

I bought my T602 in 1994 for a discount price. It had been sitting in the store for nearly 9 years. I can't imagine why. This is a superb student horn!
Not only are they indestructable, they play in tune with a nice tone and look prety too.
What more do you want? Fast valves?
The valve oil that came with it was worthless, but after switching to All Cass I got myself the fastest and most reliable valves ever.
Talking about sturdy: I dropped it god knows how many times, including 2 times from a bicycle and it fell once from the case on a concrete floor when the locks opened spontaniously. It only has some scratches and small dents and still plays problemfree.
Click here to see this users profile Click here to Send this user a Private Message Find more posts by this user  
Anonymous
Review Date: 8/30/2006 Would you recommend the product? Yes | Price you paid?: None indicated | Rating: 9 

Pros: Bore, Tone
Cons: None

My Dad bought himself this horn in the early 70s and used it in all of the bands he played in. I had a Bach Strad model 43 and it felt like there was a rag in the bell after playing on my Dad's Holton. I could more easily play along with my Maynard Ferguson records with my Dad's horn than my Bach (because of the bigger bore) I would recommend this horn to anyone at any level.

Anonymous
Review Date: 10/1/2006 Would you recommend the product? No | Price you paid?: $400.00 | Rating: 7 

Pros: Cheap
Cons: Slow valves, fell apart

I got this horn when I started Highschool, it was okay for freshman year but after that nokt only did it begin to fall apart on me but it couldn't really keep up with me as I became more serious of a musician. This horn may work for someone who isn't very serious about music or for a beginner but definitely not for anyone who is any sort of serious.

Anonymous
Review Date: 12/16/2006 Would you recommend the product? Yes | Price you paid?: None indicated | Rating: 7 

Pros: Sound, Intonation, Value for students
Cons: Finish, no 1st slide (old model), Noisy valves

I purchased the old model of T602 at beginning of 90s.
It has no 1st slide thumb support.

I think the lacquered finish was too delicate... although I always well preserved the trumpet, it's brushed in some points.
The valves are quite noisy and not so fast as professional models, but it's acceptable, for beginners.

The real value of this trumpet is in the sound: warm and delicate in every register.
Good for music school, symphonic band students, jazz.
Intonation is astounding, too: perfect pitch from low Bb to high Bb. Some professional trumpets aren't so accurate.

I don't know about the new model, but the old one is surely a great student instrument. I still enjoy playing it although I play a 90s Stradivarius and I've tried other high-end trumpets.
Overall rate it's a 7.
For beginnners, an excellent choice. It's a 9 to 10.

Review Date: 11/25/2008 Would you recommend the product? Yes | Price you paid?: None indicated | Rating: 6 

Pros: great bright sound
Cons: slow sticky valves

This is a good trumpet for student. I have used it for 4 years and had no problems.
Review Date: 10/28/2010 Would you recommend the product? Yes | Price you paid?: None indicated | Rating: 8 

Pros: Extremely well built, today's Ambassador
Cons: none

I also purchased a few of these horns on ebay as donation horns for local schools. What a blast, literally7. This "intro" horn, introduced me to Holton quality. Sure this is a beginner's horn, but available for a couple of hundred with 1st saddle in excellent condition. ...slots well, tight build, PLAYS! It really is today's Olds Ambassador...with perks. Good into high school or excellent for comeback player. Better than any of the student Yamaha's or Bach. I seriously suggest folk "get over" what the 'acceptable' choice for a beginner is and go to your dealer and test this horn side by side. SURPRISE yourself, save money and find value. BTW, I now own 8 Holton cornets and 6 Holton trumpets...each better than the next...and all because I was introduced by the free blowing T-602.

About BrassReview

BrassReview.com is the largest source for instrument reviews on the internet. Our users are now adding new trumpet, trombones, tubas, and french horns daily, and adding reviews, discussions, and links on their favorite instruments, and related equipment.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook

BrassReview.com 2.12
Copyright 2004 - 2012